Interestingly, this is a paper from colleagues of ours from the department. The paper presents how one company – Ericsson – works with continuous deployment of their large software system in 3G RAN (Radio Access Networks). The highlights from the article are as follows:
- New software field testing and validation activities become continuous.
- Software deployment should be orchestrated between the constituent system.
- A pilot customer to partner with is key for success.
- Companywide awareness and top management support are important.
- Documentation and active monitoring are critical for continuous deployment.
I like this paper because it presents a practical approach and a good set of practices that can be taken up by other companies.